You can google things you read about on my site here, and it will open the results in a new window!

Custom Search

Sunday, February 22, 2009

(10) CSCC-SCCA Autocross Fun Event

Well now that my crappy saturday consisting of 5 hours driving and 8 hours of briefings in Fort Wayne is over, it's time for the main event of the weekend. The first Autocross event of the year! Hosted by the Columbus Sports Car Club, a chapter of the Sports Car Club of America, the Solo2 Autocross events are a way for normal folks to get out and race competitively, or for their own leisure. Anyone 18+ with a valid drivers license, a maintained car, and $35 is welcome to participate. Today's event was a 'fun event', meaning it does not count for points in the annual points standings. Despite freezing weather and a morning snow dusting, a good 40 or so drivers showed up for a day of cone dodging. Amber came along with me, but drove separately so she would have a place to warm up, and we would have a ride home if the Neon decides to break.

We left Franklin around 0815 this morning and convoyed south towards Walesboro, IN. About 5 miles on Interstate 65 doing 70mph with high winds, the magnetic number sign on my passenger side decided to dive off the car and into the median. We went to the next exit and turned around and searched the side of the road all the way back to Franklin, but could not locate it. It was snowing and probably got covered up pretty quickly, so we decided to just cut our losses and continue for Walesboro. What a bummer, as I had just ordered those signs and this was the first time showing them off.

We arrived at the old airstrip just in time to walk the course prior to registration. Amber and I walked the course, and I made mental notes so that I could negotiate it later in the Neon. Theres nothing scarier and more dangerous than pulling up to the starting gate with no clue of the course configuration. We then headed back to the registration trailer so I could get signed up. My annual SCCA membership ($40 for military) saves me $15 at each race, so I only had to pay $20 for registration. I submitted my car information, car number 98SM, and signed the insurance form. The SM after my car number indicates that my car is in the 'Street Modified' class. This class is quite open for modifications to the engine, transmission, power adders, suspension, and brakes. It is typically one of the fastest classes, which in short means I am typically the slowest in the class. My car isn't purposely built for competitive racing in Street Modified, rather I just build my car how I like and happened to fall under this class due to my internal engine work. I am by far the lowest powered car in the class, which consisted of several turbocharged Subaru WRX STIs, an Audi sports car, and a souped up Caprice Wagon. I'm only making a measly 170 horsepower. Nonetheless, my goal has never been to compete with the other cars, but to compete with myself. I try to improve my driving to get faster, and improve the Neon to get faster.

My first run of the day I took nice and easy to familiarize myself with the course, and to get comfortable with the Neon. This is the first time I've raced her with the new camshafts, exhaust, and manual transmission. I completed the run in 75.131 seconds, with no cones knocked over.

My second run I pushed a little harder, but quickly identified some flaws in my driving and also got a little mixed up on the course. It was an ugly run, but still faster than the first. I completed the run in 68.615 seconds with 1 cone knocked over.

My third run I was starting to get more comfortable, but then I came out of a gate too fast and wasn't able to make a turn. I ran right over cone and it broke off one of my exhaust hangers, dropping my muffler to the ground. I didn't notice this on the track, as my car is much too loud to hear a dragging muffler. I finished the run with my mufler dragging the ground in 70.561 seconds with one cone knocked down and one muffler knocked loose.

This was the end of the first heat of 3 runs, so I drove the car back to the pits and got out to see what the damage was. I layed under the rear of the car and noticed that an exhaust hanger had broken. It was a simple enough fix, as I just unbolted the quick-disconnect clamp from the muffler and removed it. Now I'm down to just the Magnaflow catalytic converter and a Moroso spiral-flow resonator. Once I get everything back in order, I fire up the car and she is LOUD! Not a big deal on the racetrack as mufflers are not required in SM, but the drive home is going to be hellish.

Now it was my turn to work the track while the other group runs their first heat. I partner up with a fella who was driving the Volkswagen Golf GTI behind me in line. We head out to station 3. We watch the cars run their laps, and I chased down the knocked over cones and set them back up while the other guy calls in the penalty. It was cold out there, but the running helped keep me warm.

Now for our second heat and final 3 runs, and now I have Amber riding shotgun to experience the thrill of autocross. My 4th run was looking better. I was starting to get more acquainted with the track, and my driving skills were starting to get warmed up, but I took it a little easy as the muffler ordeal had me a little worried. I completed the run in 69.352 seconds with 1 cone knocked over, and the car had no problems.

The fifth run I was ready to make a real stab at a fast time. I was confident that the car was going to run good and hold together, Amber wasn't scared to death, and I was getting more comfortable driving the Neon. I let her rip and finished in 66.459 seconds with no cones knocked over. A lot of pressure to try and top that run!

The sixth run I gave her all I got, posting my fastest time of 66.368. Marginally faster than my 5th run, but still faster!

I had a great time, but I don't think Amber cared much for the cold. I'm sure she'll enjoy it more on a warm day when the expensive cars show up and she can take rides in more exotic cars. We made it home safely, and I spotted my number panel in the median on the way home. I started to stop to get it, but I decided it wasn't worth the hassle, as I can get another for about 8 bucks. It could have been ran over torn for all I could tell, and Saturday traffic isn't the best for playing Frogger.

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment